Saturday, April 4, 2009

Random thoughts about books

I like books that tell stories from alternating points of view. I read one book about a girl's birthday called Leap Day (it was her 4th/16th birthday). I really liked that each chapter was narrated by a different character, although it all took place in one day. How do I find more books like that? I did some Reader's Advisory searches and found The Portrait of a Lady. I just finished that one- whew, at 600 pages it was the longest novel I've ever read! It portrayed different viewpoints, but the one and only narrator was separated from the story. After more searching, I found the term "alternating perspectives" and read several mediocre books just because they fit that requirement. Ugh.

Cataloging library science books is pretty awesome, because I get to see all these books that I would otherwise never see and know existed. If I wasn't there and wanted to see them, I'd have to either buy them or request an ILL. Some I am extremely glad I didn't put any effort into procuring, realizing that they are simply a bound collection of journal articles, like the one pictured. What greedy bastards- charging that much just to gather and re-print articles!!

I found several great cataloging books (cataloging books about cataloging = metacatalogingwoohoo!) that I did buy because they seemed quite useful. It's not like I learned the details of MARC cataloging in library school: there I learned mostly theory. That's why all these jobs require a minimum of 3 years experience. Ah, the great catch-22 that appears with all new job postings- how can you get experience if no one will hire you? I've been interning/volunteering at the state library for 1 1/4 years now, which sounds good to me, but unfortunately I've learned that HR people eventually ask how many hours a week I work, and it's never enough.

I found out that there are copy catalogers at the library system where I work. They work at HQ and are less qualified and make less money than I do. And people wonder why there are problems with the catalog? The least they could do is transfer me over to be a copy cataloger at my current salary. Then I could get more experience, even though I'd have to continue living with my mother because I've had to begin repayment on my student loans. There aren't many job openings at all in this climate, but most seem to be for upper-level positions. I'm wondering if the people getting these jobs are all unemployed, because the lower-level positions sure aren't opening up. I found a couple awesome job openings for interns, but get this: you have to still be in school. Seriously? Maybe I'll send Fox Entertainment and CNN each a nice letter telling them what I think of their requirements.

What I really need to do is start interning at an academic library. But I like working at the state library, and I'm comfortable there. I can't seem to find the motivation to call UGA to inquire about a position, and especially to leave the state library. If I started at UGA, maybe they would like me and find a place for me once the state hiring ban is lifted. I think I would like living in Athens.

No comments:

Post a Comment